The better care you take of things the longer they will last. This is true of many things in life, nothing more so than cars. It may seem harmless to neglect your motor in the short term but if you keep on doing it things start to add up and you will be shortening the lifespan of your car.
If you want your car to last as long as possible and run smoothly then don’t slip into these bad habits:
• Delay regular maintenance – regularly maintenance is vital for the longevity of a car. This includes things like replacing oil and air filters, transmission fluid, brake pad care etc. Take a look in your car manual (it’s probably in the glove box behind the empty CD cases and used tissues) and you’ll see what maintenance is needed for your specific model. You may have to invest a little cash into this maintenance but it’s a pittance if you compare it to the cost of a new transmission or engine.
• Ignore warning lights on the dash – if a warning indicator light flashes up on the dash it is important that you sort the problem out as soon as you can. Check your manual if you are unsure about what some of the lights mean. Modern cars have warning lights for many different things and some of them could lead to big problems if they are not addressed. Prevention is better than cure and these lights help you to prevent any problems from getting worse.
• Shifting whilst the car is in motion – another bad habit which can cause havoc with your transmission. The transmission is a very expensive and complex component so it is important that it is used in the way it was designed to be used. You must not shift between drive and reverse while the car is moving, this jerky type of shifting places excessive strain on the internal gears of the mechanism and can ultimately lead it its failure.
• Jerky driving style – speeding away and stopping abruptly at the end of the road is a sure fire way to break your car. It may not destroy the vehicle immediately but it will be detrimental to the engine, the brake system and the transmission causing them to deteriorate sooner than they would ordinarily. Abused cars suffer from broken seals, mechanical problems and premature fluid leaks. You have been warned – smooth is definitely the way to go.
• Delaying tire replacement – the tires which are needed for some cars are pretty expensive so many drivers put it off for as long as possible to save money. Unfortunately this can lead to untold problems. It is really risky to drive on tires which are bald, blow outs while driving can cause you to lose control and be involved in a serious accident. Driving in the rain on bald tires is also extremely dangerous with an increased risk of hydroplaning. Okay, so perhaps new tires are expensive but they’re not nearly as expensive as a car or even probably the insurance deductible.
So, if you have any of these habits then now’s the time to break them. Not only will your car thank you for it but your finances will be in a much healthier condition too.
At OC Auto they’ve got a great choice of new and used cars for sale with some truly incredible deals. Check out the choice at jeep san juan capistrano and remember to develop good driving habits to keep your car looking and performing well for longer.